ri news

P1 Drama On and Off The Water

Above - The Milford Waterfront Panther won their first ever P1 SuperStock Grand Prix victory in Greenock  

The second running of the P1 Scottish Grand Prix of the Sea served up a feast of thrills and spills on the Clyde and was then followed by an unexpected twist after the final race.

Reigning UK and world champions Sam and Daisy Coleman again proved dominant as they powered to a second straight victory in Greenock this weekend. However, following post-race scrutineering on Sunday, the engines of both the Pertemps Network and Arthur J Gallagher boats were found by race officials to have failed technical inspection and the teams were subsequently disqualified from the weekend’s results.*

This handed the Milford Waterfront team their first ever P1 SuperStock Grand Prix victory after initially having to settle for second place behind Pertemps in a closely fought battle over the two days.

After heading into the final day level on points with Milford Waterfront, Pertemps battled their way to the lead in both races on Sunday and never looked back despite constant pressure from Charles Morris and Andrew Foster in the Pembrokeshire Panther. It was to be a first podium finish for the Anglo-Welsh pairing who only joined the P1 SuperStock series last year and missed out narrowly on third place in Denmark earlier this month.

P1’s second visit to Inverclyde again attracted tens of thousands of spectators along Greenock Esplanade, and they were entertained by some outstanding racing with the crews being hugely challenged by the constantly changing conditions on the Clyde.

One of several crews who will also be pleased with their performances this weekend are the Jackson brothers in the Experience Kissimmee race boat, who subsequently found themselves on the podium despite picking up a time penalty on day one following the disqualification of Pertemps. Local favourites 'Spirit of Inverclyde', with father and daughter pairing Dave and Ashleigh Finlayson in the cockpit, recorded another set of consistent results at their second ever Grand Prix weekend to finish fourth, pushing Platinum Products close in the final race who now take second and a lead in the championship standings

There was drama to end the weekend’s racing after South Street suffered a mechanical failure on lap one of race four, causing them to veer left into Pickfords who had no time to avoid collision. Both crews were taken for medical checks but thankfully were cleared with no serious injuries, although they were not able to restart the race after the red flag was waved.

Above - P1 Managing Director Robert Wicks and Inverclyde Provost Martin Brennan

P1 Managing Director Robert Wicks reflected on a hugely eventful and successful weekend:

“Our partnership with the co-hosts of Inverclyde Council and Riverside Inverclyde here in Greenock is immensely rewarding and the crowd of tens of thousands of local residents and visitors were treated to some spectacular race action. The Clyde provides a superb race venue which this weekend proved to be immensely challenging for the P1 SuperStock crews.�

After their superb performance to take victory, the Milford Waterfront team can now look forward to racing in front of their home crowd when the 2017 P1 SuperStock UK Championship moves on to Milford Haven in three weeks’ time.

* In line with UIM procedures, the two disqualified teams will have the right to appeal the decision